- Rationale OF THE PROGRAMME
Kenya faces perennial challenges in the construction industry such as building collapse, lack of accountability, haphazard management of the construction process, lack of dedicated researchers to customize emerging construction management concepts and lack of research into the unique management challenges of the highly technical industry. The programme aims at equipping construction professionals with high level construction management research skills and enhancing Master of Arts in Construction Management graduates with higher-level research skills tailored to meet the needs of the Kenyan, East African as well as the global construction sector. Specialization will be offered in the following areas:
- Construction management
- Construction law
- Construction Technology
- Construction procurement
- Construction economics
- Construction sustainability
The research inquiries will be carried out under the supervision of multi-disciplinary supervisors who is a recognized specialist in the relevant field.
The programme aims to equip candidates with high-level research skills that empower them to address challenges within the construction industry. The objectives of the programme are: -
- To develop cadre of high-level construction sector researchers to evaluate construction industry challenges and formulate appropriate intervention strategies.
- To analyze construction management concepts applicability to local situations.
- To promote sustainable construction development through research.
- To prepare students for careers in institutions of higher learning, research institutions and in the private sector.
- SCHEDULES OF INTAKE
There shall be one intake every academic year and this shall be at the beginning of the academic year.
The following shall be eligible to apply for registration on for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the University:
- a holder of a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree from the University of Nairobi in Building Economics, Quantity Surveying, Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering;
- a holder of a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree or equivalent academic qualifications of another institution recognized by the University of Nairobi Senate as of comparable status in Building Economics, Quantity Surveying, Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering;
- In either case, the applicant must be able to produce evidence, to the satisfaction of Senate, of his adequate background in the discipline and capacity to carry out original research.
- In addition on to producing evidence of eligibility for registration, candidates for the Doctor of Philosophy degree may be required to appear for interview by the School to determine their suitability for registration.
PhD candidates pursue doctorates out interest/passion for a particular subject area or the need to become experts in certain specializations due to the in-depth knowledge gained in the particular area. The PhD in Construction Management satisfies this need.
With opportunities provided by infrastructure development pillar in Kenya Vision 2030, the Big 4 agenda, the rapidly expanding private sector construction and the Sustainable Development Goals, a Doctor of Philosophy graduate in Construction Management can become engaged as a researcher, technical advisor, construction management consultant, construction project auditor, construction project finance advisor, in academia, in foreign and local contracting firms, in multinationals and development partners engaged in the construction industry. These opportunities are available in Kenya, East Africa, Africa and globally.
Fees and Funding
|DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT (B805)||YEAR 1||YEAR 2||YEAR 3||TOTALS|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000||7,000||7,000||21,000|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||4,500||4,500||4,500||13,500|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000||1,000||1,000||3,000|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000||-||-||5,000|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500||6,500||6,500||19,500|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000||2,000||2,000||6,000|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000||5,000||5,000||15,000|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000||1,000||1,000||3,000|